10th Schedule of the Constitution- Anti-defection law
The Punjab Assembly has issued the notice to Sukhpal Singh Khaira (Rebel AAP MLA from Bholath) for disqualification under the 10th Schedule of the Constitution.
Anti-defection law – 10th Schedule
- 52nd constitutional amendment act, 1985 lays down the procedure for the disqualification of legislators by the Presiding Officer on the grounds of defection.
- The petition for disqualification can be filed by any member.
Grounds of disqualification
- Voluntarily gives up the membership of his political party, or
- Votes in contrary to the directions of his political party or do not vote in the legislature.
- If an independent candidate joins a political party after the election.
- If a nominated member joins a party six months after he becomes a member of the legislatureExceptions
Exceptions in Anti-defection law
The law allows a party to merge with or into another party with at least two-thirds of its legislators are in favour of the merger. Then, anti-defection law does not apply on any member.
Kihoto Hollohan Vs Zachillhu case, 1992
SC held that the Presiding officer while deciding a question under 10th schedule, function as a tribunal. Hence, his decision is subject to judicial review on the grounds of malafide, perversity etc.
Source: The Hindu
Triple drug therapy to eradicate lymphatic filariasis
Context: A pilot project was launched in Nagpur to eradicate lymphatic filariasis by administering the
Triple drug therapy
The World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended three drug treatment, i.e. IDA. The IDA includes a combination of ivermectin, diethylcarbamazine citrate and albendazole. The average life of the adult worm is hardly four years.
The third drug is used in this therapy will help control adult worms of lymphatic filariasis. It will be administered for two consecutive years to ensure that the adult worm dies without causing any harm.
Over 40% of the worldwide cases of Lymphatic filariasis are found in India. The
It is caused by parasitic worms living in the lymphatic system. It causes abnormal enlargement of the body parts. Transmission of parasites by four different types of mosquitoes – Culex, Mansonia, Anopheles and Aedes.
Source: The Hindu
Project ReWeave to help handloom weavers
Microsoft India has launched a new e-commerce platform ‘re-weave.in’ to help handloom weavers.
- Connect artisans to the buyers directly.
- Provide a platform to showcase traditional designs, signature collections
- Increasing weavers income to live a sustainable livelihood.
evivingtraditional forgotten Indian art.
Features: Microsoft is working closely with NGO Chaitanya Bharathi to provide infrastructure, financing and marketing support to help weaver families.
Sources: The Hindu.
Proposal for a change National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP)
The Ministry of Rural Development has proposed change in monthly pension allowance under the NSAP.
- For disabled, widows and elderly poor, the pension to be increased from ₹200 to ₹800.
- For above the age of 80, the pension to be increased from ₹500 to ₹1200 a month.
It will cost the government ₹18000 crore. It has been proposed to include in recent budget.
National Social Assistance Program
Centrally sponsored scheme under the Ministry of Rural Development.
Article 41- State to make provision for securing the right to work, to education, and to public assistance in cases of unemployment, old age, sickness and disablement. NSAP helps to fulfil the goals stated in article 41 of DPSP.
Coverage: Covers more than 3 crore people living below the poverty line. It consists of five schemes:
- Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS),
- Indira Gandhi National Widow Pension Scheme (IGNWPS),
- Indira Gandhi National Disability Pension Scheme (IGNDPS),
- National Family Benefit Scheme NFBS) and
Source: The Hindu
Arab Economic and Social Development Summit
Beirut Declaration at the Arab Economic and Social Development Summit that concluded in the Lebanese capital recently.
Significance of the declaration
- Arab countries have reached a consensus on encouraging Syrian refugees to return to their country.
- It points out that the crisis leads to an economic slowdown, increases the expenditure and deficit, imposes burdens on public sectors and infrastructure and poses risks to the society.
Arab Economic and Social Development summits
They are held at the head of the state level among the members of Arab league to address issues of economic and social development among member-states.
- It is a regional organization of 22 Arab countries in and around North Africa, the Horn of Africa and Arabia.
- Established in Cairo in 1945.
- The League’s main goal is to “draw closer the relations between member States and co-ordinate collaboration between them, to safeguard their independence and sovereignty, and to consider in a general way the affairs and interests of the Arab countries”.
Source: Click here
Reduction in CO2 emission by Methanol BlendinG
- A study conducted by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) by blending Methanol (M-15) with petrol in the existing BS-IV standard cars.
- It has found that carbon dioxide emission had reduced substantially, hydrocarbon emission reduced marginally, with a slight increase in nitrogen oxides.
Methanol as an alternative fuel
- It can be used as transportation fuel, energy producing fuel and cooking fuel. It would cut down India’s import bill by 20%. Also, it will require minimum alteration in the vehicle.
- It can improve air quality as it produces lesser smog causing emissions such as SOx, NOx, PM2.5 and PM10.
- It can be produced from renewable sources such as biomass, recycling of CO2. Further, it is also produced from Natural gas on a commercial scale.
- It offers better acceleration and power due to high octane number.
- Creates jobs and market for agricultural products such as biomass.
Methanol can become fuel of 21st century by recycling CO2 generated from burning of methanol, steel, cement, and coal power plant.
Methanol Economy- China, Italy, Sweden, Australia, US, Japan and others actively pursuing the Methanol based fuel economy. Methanol is used as fuel in 10% of chinese transportation sector. Similarly, NITI AAyog preparing plan for full scale implementation of Methanol Economy in India.
Source: The Hindu
15th annual Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD)- Varanasi
It is generally celebrated on 9th of January every year as Mahatma Gandhi returned to India on this day.
Chief guest- The Prime Minister of Mauritius, Pravind Jugnath
Theme: “Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India”.
The first chapter of Pravasi Bhartiya DIVAS (PBD) was held in 2003 to recognise the contribution of NRIs in different fields. It also created a platform for the government to engage with the Indian communities for their benefits.
Source: The Hindu