First human rights TV channel
The world’s first television channel dedicated to human rights was launched by The International Observatory of Human Rights (IOHR
Objective of the project:
It is a web-based channel, it would bring human rights issues to audiences in over 20 countries across Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Intercontinental Observatory of Human Rights (IOHR):
- It is an independent non-profit and non-governmental organisation.
- IOHR associates with regional and international human rights group to generate and advertise positive modifications and push for justice and the respect of human rights around the world.
- IOHR aims to protect the dignity of individuals stripped of their legal rights which includes unjustly jailed journalists, human rights defenders, refugees and victims of oppression.
Source:The Hindu (Click here)
Shehri Samridhi Utsav
Launched by: Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation
- To extend the outreach of National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) to the poorest of the poor.
- Showcase its initiatives and
- Facilitate SHG members to access credit and the benefits of other vernment schemes.
Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana-Countrywide Urban Livelihoods Mission (Working day-NULM)
- The scheme is available in all 4041 statutory cities and cities.
- NULM address the urban poverty by developing strong community-based organizations, providing placement oriented skill training, providing subsidized loans for self-employment ventures, supporting street vendors’ livelihoods and establishing shelter home for the homeless.
Source: PIB (Click here)
Space Technology in border management
The Union Home Ministry has approved a report for use of Space Technology in improving Border Management.
ISRO, Ministry of Defense and Border Guarding Forces will work together to use IRNSS based GPS, high-resolution imagery and network infrastructure development to use Space technology in following areas:
- Island development
- Border Security
- Communication and Navigation
- GIS and Operations Planning System
- Border Infrastructure Development
Source: PIB (click here)
Saksham (Sanrakshan Kshamta Mahotsav)
- Launched by: Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA).
- It is a month long wareness campaign.
PCRA aims for creating awareness on fuel conservation through people-centric activities and to sensitize the masses about the conservation and efficient use of petroleum products leading to better health and environment.
Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA)
- It is a non-profit organization registered society. it is set up under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India.
- PCRA is the principal national government agency engaged in promoting energy efficiency in various sectors of the economy.
Chinese Cotton seed sprouts on the moon
Chinese researchers have announced that cotton seeds transported to the moon have sprouted, marking the first time humans have grown biological matter on the moon.
- The seeds were sent as part of China’s Change-4 mission, a probe which landed on the far side of the moon recently.
- Along with cotton seeds, the biological growth experiments on the lunar surface included rapeseed, potato, and Arabidopsis seeds, as well as fruit fly eggs and yeast.
- However, all seeds died due to cold winter night on the moon.
About Change 4 Mission:
- Change 4 is a part of China’s Lunar Exploration programme and seeks to explore the far side or dark side of the moon.
- Chang’e-4 will be the second Chinese probe to land on the moon following the Yutu (“Jade Rabbit”) rover mission in 2013.
Source: The Indian Express (Click here)
Measles Rubella Vaccination
What is measles-rubella vaccination?
The MR vaccine is administered against Measles-Rubella (German measles).
- First dose:-Children around 9 to 15 months of age,
- Second dose:-15 onths to 6 years of age, with at least 4 weeks between the doses.
Why in news?
The New Delhi High Court stopped the implementation of the ‘Measles and Rubella Vaccine Immunization Campaign(in schools)’ by the Delhi government by stating that ‘measles vaccination cannot be administered “forcibly” and without the consent of parents’.
About Measles and Rubella disease
- Measles and Rubella are highly contagious viral diseases that are spread by contact with an infected person through coughing and sneezing.
- Rubella infection in pregnant women can lead to severe birth defects known as congenital rubella syndrome (CRS).
- Children with CRS can suffer hearing impairments, cataracts, heart defects, developmental delay and many other lifelong disabilities.
Source: The Indian Express (Click here)